August 27, 2014

Somewhere on Earth on a day not too unlike today...

…in 1789, The Declaration of the Rights of Man was adopted by the French National Assembly. This document was inspired by the United States’ Declaration of Independence. Interestingly, our document was, in large part, reciprocally based off of French ideals!

… in 1921, the owner of Acme Packing Company bought a pro football team for Green Bay, WI. J.E. Clair paid tribute to those who worked in his plant by naming the team the Green Bay Packers.

… in 1928, The Kellogg-Briand Pact was signed officially outlawing war. Obviously this treaty did not work.

…in 1938, Robert Frost disrupted a poetry reading by Archibald MacLeish by setting fire to a stack of papers. I use this to mention Robert Frost who is my wife’s favorite poem and a truly great American writer.

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.   
His house is in the village though;   
He will not see me stopping here   
To watch his woods fill up with snow.   
My little horse must think it queer   
To stop without a farmhouse near   
Between the woods and frozen lake   
The darkest evening of the year.   
He gives his harness bells a shake   
To ask if there is some mistake.   
The only other sound’s the sweep   
Of easy wind and downy flake.   
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   
But I have promises to keep,   
And miles to go before I sleep,   
And miles to go before I sleep.
Robert-Frost

… also sadly in 1990, Stevie Ray Vaughn died.

Birthdays and Anniversaries

551: Confucius; China’s longest singular influence in its over 4,000 year history!conf-quote_full_2

Daily Trivia:

Stevie Ray Vaughn’s Little Wing” is unarguably a fantastic lip-curling blues jam. However, this song is not a Stevie Ray original. Trivia question today has two parts: a) who originally conceived “Little Wing” and whose version is better? Enjoy the comparison.

8 Comments

on “August 27, 2014
8 Comments on “August 27, 2014
  1. Jimi Hendrix originally conceived “Little Wing”. Tough but I’d personally have to choose Hendrix’s version, although both versions (and artists) are amazing.

2. Jimi Hendrix originally conceived “Little Wing” I think Jimi’s version is better simply because it actually has words that give more meaning to the song.

• If a blues song is played correctly (which requires an intimate feeling and not just technical know-how) you don’t need lyrics. You just need your foot to tap and your lip to curl.

3. Jimi Hendrix originally wrote and recorded the song “Little Wing.” In my opinion the Jimi Hendrix version is better because I like the lyrics, but everything else about the Stevie Ray Vaughn’s is better such as the way he plays the guitar and the sound he gives.

• I have been debating which version I like better for nearly a decade. On this night, I lean toward Stevie. It is pretty hard to make a cover of a song that even comes close to the original, and, at least in this case, the cover is completely on par with the original. But tomorrow, my answer could change!

4. “Little Wing” was conceived by the greatest guitarist of all time, Jimi Hendrix. I like how Stevie’s version is slow and sweet, but nothing can compare to Jimi’s guitar and vocals he is truly the best there will ever be.